3.09.2015

UofT prevents me from attending 'The Laramie Project'

Teaching Assistants are on strike at the University of Toronto.  They are underpaid, under appreciated, and under estimated by the administration of #UofT.  I was astounded to learn how little these people made and how much the University actually depends on them. 

You can learn more about the TA'S fight for a fair deal here



Check out twitter hashtag #WeAreUofT 

 ●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Dear Friends,

I was really looking forward to attending your production of 'The Laramie Project' this week. As a gay man who grew up in a small town in western Canada, this play speaks to my own history.

Unfortunately I can not attend. Teaching Assistants are on strike and it would mean crossing their picket line. I could not cross a picket line in which workers and students are forced to stand against an institution which won't negotiate a fair agreement.

This means I will miss your production which you and many students have put so much effort. I am so very sad. Please convey my regrets to the crew of this production and most certainly onto the President of the University.

I look forward to seeing further productions after the students and workers have received a fair deal.
Sincerely yours

Rick Barnes
Toronto 

No comments: