4.05.2005

I pray you vote “yes”

Now I remember why I liked her so much, she holds all of us with dignity and respect ...

Alexa McDonough, MP
Civil Marriage Act (C-38) debate
March 24, 2005

You can access all the speeches on the Civil Marriage Act at Canadians for Equal-Marriage

... I must say, of all the arguments that I find difficult to deal with, it is the argument that somehow this destroys marriage, that somehow this is disrespectful of the tradition of marriage. It seems to me, for those who keep talking about being pro-marriage and pro-family, that they would be among those who should most welcome the fact that we are ensuring that as many people as would want in our society to enter into a marriage relationship, a long term, sustaining, loving relationship, are to be welcomed.

Those who understand the importance of family, understand the importance of marriage, should understand that we are better off as a society if more people embrace the tradition of marriage and want to live within marital relationships.

Let me quote briefly from a woman, unknown to me but in my own province of Nova Scotia, who wrote as follows in the early weeks of this debate getting underway in Parliament:

"I am the grandmother of 18, great-grandmother of 5. Are any of them homosexual or lesbian? I have no idea--nor do I care. I love them regardless. Do I think a same sex marriage would in some way degrade the morals or sanctity of my own marriage? Of course not, how silly. How could love and caring and compassion and happiness in any way take from my own marriage? If the Lord made humans, animals and mammals homosexuals how can we judge His actions? Surely there are more admonitions in the Bible to love one another than there are to judge one another. I pray you vote “yes”. "

For more on the civil marriage act, same-sex or gay marriage, Stephen Harper, Social Conservatives, Bishop Henry use the Technorati search box in the sidebar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick, I just linked back to this article, I'd like you to check my blog to see if it's OK.

Bruce

HDcanuck said...

If every cloud has a silver lining, does every silver lining have a cloud? Or, be careful what we wish for?