'...Boards must also help school staff to give support to students who wish to participate in gay–straight alliances and in other student-led activities that promote understanding and development of healthy relationships. Schools must also engage their school councils and student councils to support these student-led activities. ...' (emphasis is mine)The Catholic School Boards are simply ignoring this direction. They are not helping students form GSAs and in fact are denying the creation of such groups, banning the words gay and efforts of students to raise awareness around the issue of homophobia in schools and our society.
The Catholic School Boards are funded to the tune of 500 million dollars from taxpayers each year. They are not exempt from providing support for GSAs. They are not permitted in the school act to discriminate against queer students or their allies.
This is 2011, not the 1950's. Its time the McGuinty Government, that purports to be progressive did the right thing and directed the Catholic School Boards to follow the law as public school boards are compelled to.
Here is an exchange from the Ontario Legislature earlier this year between Ontario NDP MPP Rosario Marchese and Premier McGuinty.
Its clear that the Ontario Liberal party want nothing to do with this issue. The Premier fails to answer the question and resorts to 'mudification'.
The Government of Ontario pays the Catholic school board $500 million in tax dollars to provide education in this province. The government then has a responsibility to ensure that the money is being spent for purposes it is given for and that the recipient of that large amount of tax dollars is following the direction of the Ministry of Education.
Read more at Xtra.ca
- Student threatened with 'disciplinary action' if GSA advocacy continues
- Toronto Catholic board to debate whether religion trumps rights of gay students
- Halton Catholic schools ban gay-straight alliance groups
- Mississauga Catholic students demand GSA
- Halton Catholic students may launch human rights challenge
- Ontario Catholic School GSA story: history and documents
- GSA ban lifted by Halton Catholic school board
- Catholic bishops prohibit gay-straight alliances in Ontario schools
- Halton Catholic schools continue to ban gay student groups
- Politicians stay silent on Catholic school GSAs
See also Slap Upside the Head - Public Schools Move Forward, Catholic Schools Move Back
QueerOntario has been doing a lot of work on GSAs. Check out their site here.